Sunday, August 19, 2007

Another Milestone

I am eternally grateful. I was able to be present for another of my daughter's important moments. I am pleased to announce that I am the proud parent of a two-wheel rider. The training wheels are a thing of the past. There is such joy when you see your child careening down the neighborhood street, barely missing parked cars and crashing into curbs. It is a right-of-passage.

I ran beside her and I let go. It's the beginning of a long process that will end when she leaves me as a well-adjusted (hopefully), independent woman. I am immensely proud today, as I am sure I will be when she leaves my house for good. Sad, but proud. You make choices and sacrifices to create this, but when it actually happens it's bittersweet. It's nice to be needed. It's even nicer not to be needed. I think it means I'm doing my job.



No comments: