Saturday, October 13, 2007

Looooong Day

Welcome to Midwifery.
I woke up this morning still tired from this new lack-of-a-normal- sleeping- schedule thing. I woke up early because I was fortunate enough to get to watch surgeries with my fantastic Gyn preceptor. I got to see uteri (is that the plural?) and cervices from the inside out. I got to see one hysterectomy through a scope and had all the pertinent structures pointed out and had a great view. I also got to see two through vertical incisions because of the size of the uteri involved. The human body never ceases to amaze me. Eight hours has never gone quite so fast before.
The kicker- I got called to a birth the minute I walked out of the hospital. Which had me ridiculously excited and sad at the same time. There was a baby coming, but I only saw my baby girl for 30 minutes this morning before I left and she was asleep when I got home. Good news- I got to see her for 30 minutes this morning and the momma in labor was a multip so I got home to get some sleep at a semi decent hour.
It is so hard to be torn between two things you love so much. I know my momma classmates struggle with it, too. I can't imagine a significant other in the mix who needs and deserves your time as well. I miss out on the built-in babysitter, but I get off scott free from the partner guilt.

No comments: