Sunday, October 21, 2007

Roommates Wanted



In my latest attempt to avoid financial ruin while in school, I have decided to rent out a few rooms in my house. I just interviewed one person, and he seems like a nice, young guy working on a Master's Degree. I am still a little hesitant about letting other people into my house, especially male people (no offense), but sacrifice is my middle name. I really want my daughter to stay in her school's zone because it is a great school. I really like some of my neighbors, too. Anyone who offers to let me drop my child off in the middle of the night so I can go to a birth is good people. Not to mention the fact that I had to move during winter quarter last year and it almost did me in- literally. I don't have the strength, stamina, or time to move. So roommates it is.

On the midwifery front, I am amazed by the human body yet again. Learned a lesson at a birth. Never assume that because a woman is a grand multipara (more than 5 babies, I think) that her labor will be short. The birth could take less than a minute from push to baby, but the labor could go a good 11 hours. Just something to keep in mind.

On the dating front, I think I'm easy. Not get-in-my-pants easy, but getting smitten easy. I am really liking Deputy Don. I thought that I had scared him off while messaging on the Internet. I am rather opinionated and really like to know where people are coming from in their beliefs, so if we don't agree, it can be an intense discussion. After ending our "discussion" I wasn't sure if I'd hear from him. I sent him an email the next morning to clarify my position on the matter. This after not having gotten the usual "good morning" email from him. I didn't hear from him for two days. I had already gone through the obligatory post-screw-up self-assessment check list- "Am I too honest? Am I too confrontative? Do I expect too much? Am I just difficult with a capital D?" I was sure I wouldn't hear from him. A friend of mine gave me a pep talk-Someone out there will love my honesty and love me for that honesty, so I was feeling better.
Then he emailed me and informed me that he had worked a double shift, was sorry for the delay. All that introspection for nothing. So here is a little bit of what he said:
"You are so honest, so forthcoming...I love it. I'm so tired of the games and lies the people around me play. Saying one thing, doing another. I don't worry about that with you."
He called for the first time while I was at a long birth and he has a very nice voice. He wants to meet me. I wonder if that means he will come from the east coast for a date or two? I have to say, that would score him some big points. We have yet to actually talk, but if he is as good in person as he is on paper.........


1 comment:

Louisa said...

Word, Mama.
Giddy up!!!!
Xx L